Heart of America Shakespeare Festival
Founded in 1991 by Tony award-winning Broadway producer Marilyn Strauss, the Heart of America Shakespeare Festival launched its first season in 1993 in Southmoreland Park. Since then, more than 500,000 theatergoers from 42 states and 11 countries have shared in the classical professional productions the Festival presents each summer.
The Festival is proud to offer custom workshops that can be tailored to the needs of individual troops and to support each girl on her Journey (see You Schedule It! section below). HASF also offers Romeo & Juliet To Go!, a 7 actor touring production available for any occasion.
Cost per girl: Unless otherwise stated in program description: $10 if the workshop is held at our studio or we travel less than 30 miles to the troop meeting. $15 if we are traveling 30 or more miles to the troop meeting.
Cost per adult: N/A
Registration Requirements: All girls participating as a Girl Scout in these activities must be registered Girl Scout members. If attending as a troop, all volunteers also need to be registered members and/or have completed and approved background checks. If non-registered individuals (adults or tags) are allowed to participate in this activity supplemental insurance is required. Use the Insurance Purchase Form to purchase insurance at least 3 weeks prior to the event. Completed forms can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions/How to Register: Unless otherwise stated in program description, contact Matt Rapport, Director of Education at 816-531-7728 or email email@example.com.
Thu Jun 18, 6:00 PM - 10:30 PM CST
YOU SCHEDULE IT! OPPORTUNITIES:
Badge/Journey Connections: Junior Journey: aMUSE
Location: Our studio classroom is located in Midtown Kansas City or our teaching artists will travel to your location, within 30 miles of Kansas City, MO.
The Heart of America Shakespeare Festival offers workshops that
will assist Juniors on the a’MUSE Journey in a fun and thought
- Shakespeare’s Women: Explore the role of women in history through the eyes of the timeless and compelling female characters created by William Shakespeare. Using these dynamic women as a springboard, participants will learn how to create a role of their own and how these roles fit into today’s society. Characters explored include Cleopatra, Lady MacBeth, Juliet, and other favorites.
- The Art of Argumentation! Portia’s Persuasion: the story of The Merchant of Venice is a dynamic backdrop for students to explore the power of persuasion and debate tactics through the lens of one of Shakespeare’s most dynamic female characters.
Shakespeare Alive Workshops
Badge/Journey Connections: Daisy Tula: Courageous and Strong, Junior Playing the Past, Brownie Journey: A World of Girls, Brownie Journey: Brownie Quest, Junior Journey: Agent of Change
The Heart of America Shakespeare Festival offers a wide range of workshops that will help your troop to achieve a greater understanding of the performing arts.
- Bard Basics: An introduction to the world of William Shakespeare and acting. This workshop combines history, team building exercises, and acting technique to engage the mind, body and imagination.
- En garde Bard! Stage Combat: Trained stage
combatants provide a hands on presentation of stage combat
techniques. Participants will learn hand to hand combat as well as
basic sword fighting.
- Shakespeare Off the Cuff: An
introduction to the world of improvisational acting. (No Shakespeare
- Custom Workshops: Available at your location or on weekends at the Shakespeare Studio.