Kansas Outdoor Ethics
Our mission is to provide outdoor education and assistance to become better stewards of the environment for generations to come. Our vision is to inspire the lives of those we touch so that they will help spread the word.
Location: We can come to a pond/lake near you! If weather is non-permitting, we can meet indoors for some of the activities.
YOU SCHEDULE IT! OPPORTUNITIES:
Let's Go Fishing and Leave No Trace
How do I leave less of an impact? Delivering Leave No Trace through fun and educational activities with a lot of interaction. These can be held at troop meetings or in the parks or woods. Scheduling on a case-by-case basis. All supplies will be provided.
Go Fish, it is more than a worm and a hook.
Let’s learn fish identification.
- Understand why we need to know the fish we catch
- Learn where they live and what they need to survive
Try your hand at casting.
- Learn safety issues regarding casting
- Learn and practice how to cast
- Practice accuracy
- Learn strategies for playing and landing fish
Knots, Lines, & Hooks
- Learn the various parts of a hook
- Hands-on practice with how to tie an Improved Clinch Knot and a Palomar Knot
- Learn the difference between a: J-hook (Aberdeen), Bait Hook, Circle Hook, and Treble Hook, and when to use them
Basic Tackle and Equipment
- Learn the difference between different rods
- Learn the difference between different reels (spin cast, spinning, bait cast, fly)
- Understand reels and their proper use
- Practice attaching the reel to a rod, and basic mechanics
- Understand tension “drag”
- Take care of your gear
Rules and Regulations
- Learn state rules and regulations
- Learn and practice how to use regulations table
- Learn and practice how to properly measure fish
- Identify fish by name/species
- Learn ethical fish-handling techniques and “CPR” – catch, photo, release
- Learn fishing etiquette
- Learn how to be and
- Minimum of 5 girls and maximum of 30
- Bring towels for
- Wear closed-toe shoes.
- Dress for the outdoors.
- Please review the standard safety guidelines for youth to adult supervision ratio and take into consideration that we will need a little extra such as 1 adult to every 4 youth and be capable of handling fish and bait.
Cost per girl: Free; Please be a
sister to our Girl Scout partners. Our partners invest staff and
financial resources to provide unique Girl Scout programming at no
cost to our girls and their families/troops. This is one of those
special opportunities. In order for our partners to continue offering
low-cost and free programming to Girl Scouts, please notify them as
soon as possible if you can no longer attend.
Cost per adult: Free
Badge & Journey Connections: Daisy Badge: Eco Learner, Brownie Badge: Eco Friend, Junior Badge: Eco Camper, Cadette Badge: Eco Trekker, Senior Badge: Eco Explorer, Ambassador Badge: Eco Advocate, Daisy Journey: Between Earth and Sky, Brownie Journey: WOW Wonders of Water, Junior Journey: GET MOVING!
Outcomes: Develops a strong sense of self, Displays positive
values, Learns to identify and solve problems in her
Learn more about the 5 Girl Scout Outcomes.