iFLY Kansas City
Indoor skydiving is the simulation of true freefall conditions in a vertical wind tunnel. It’s where the dream of flight becomes a reality.
Indoor Skydiving STEM Workshop
Junior Cadette Senior Ambassador
Highly trained STEM Educators will guide your Girl Scouts through an interactive presentation, demos in the wind tunnel, and a grade-appropriate lab activity. Our field trips are hands-on and inquiry-based, and designed to get students excited about STEM.
Every Girl Scout will be trained by our ace flight instructors, who are certified to IBA flight standards, before entering the tunnel for their flights! Girl Scouts will learn the correct body position, hand signals and safety rules and will be outfitted in flight suits, safety goggles, ear plugs and helmets.
Every Field Trip Includes:
• iFLY educators introduce STEM concepts related to the wind tunnel, including:
• What is Engineering? How did engineers work together to create this technology?
• What are the differences between solids and fluids?
• What forces are at work on objects in the wind tunnel?
• Students observe a ball demonstration, observing the differences between the balls and how this affects their flight in the wind tunnel
• Students plan and carry out an investigation about parachutes
• Students identify one parachute variable to experiment with
• They use stopwatches, measuring tapes, and a scale to measure their parachutes
• Students record their data and share conclusions with the class
• Each Girl Scout will fly for 1 minute in the tunnel – equivalent of 1 ½ skydives
• High flights, a ride to the top of the tunnel, are available at an additional charge
$35 1 flight plus STEM class ($50 value)
$45 2 flight plus STEM class ($85 value)
$50 2 flights plus STEM class and high flight ($105 Value)
All participants receive an IFLY patch.
Cost Per Girl: $35 – $50 per class. See below for pricing options.
Cost Per Adult: Observers are free. Participants pay the class fee.
Registration Requirements: All girls participating as a Girl Scout in this activity must be registered Girl Scout members. If attending as a troop, all volunteers also need to be registered members and/or have completed and approved background checks. If non-registered individuals (adults or tags) are allowed to participate in this activity supplemental insurance is required. Use the Insurance Purchase Form to purchase insurance at least 3 weeks prior to the event. Completed forms can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Register: Contact Lisa McMachen at 913-370-7683 or email@example.com
This activity is classified as higher risk or includes an overnight and therefore requires an Activity and Trip Application. Please complete this form at least 6 weeks prior to the participation in this activity.