Release the Leader in You...Become a Council Trainer
Girl Scout Council Trainers play a crucial role in the delivery of the Girl Scout Leadership Experience
By showing adults who work with girls how to deliver the program, you empower them to provide girls an exceptional Girl Scout Leadership Experience while impacting their own
Council Trainers have the opportunity to develop strong facilitation, speaking, organizational and management skills
With a lot, little or no Girl Scout experience you can make a valuable impact in the Girl Scout Movement in the following training areas:
- Basic Leadership Training
- Outdoor Training
- Service Unit Administration Training
- Personal & Professional Development Training
How to apply to be a Council Trainer:
1. Read the Council Trainer Position Description below.
2. Submit a Council Trainer Application. <link to PDF in folder>
3. Submit Council Trainer Reference Form. (3 per applicant)
4. Once the HR Training & Volunteer Support Manager has received your application and references you will be contacted for an interview.
5. For more information email Jackie Bostic.
Volunteer Position Description: Council Trainer
- Department: HR Training & Volunteer Support
- Appointed By: HR Training & Volunteer Support Staff
Summary: The Council Trainer is responsible for delivering courses, workshops, and resources to individuals and/or groups of volunteers in order to orient, prepare, and support them throughout their appointment. The nature of this position is to provide indirect service to girls.
Term of appointment: The Council Trainer is appointed for a one-year term that is renewable upon completion of an evaluation process.
Support: The Council Trainer receives support, guidance, and encouragement from the
HR Training and Volunteer Support staff.
- Maintain council facilitator status, as defined by council policies and procedures including attending a facilitators meeting once per year.
- Coordinate courses, workshops, and resources to volunteers in assigned jurisdiction according to learning strategy set by regional team and council staff.
- Apprentice with a current council learning facilitator or staff member.
- Work in partnership with co-facilitators and council staff.
- Communicate effectively and deliver learning sessions to the individual or group.
- Facilitate courses as needed each year. (The number of courses may vary.)
- Create and maintain a positive learning environment using a variety of tools to meet needs of all learners.
- Complete and submit course evaluations, surveys, attendance sheets, and self-evaluations as instructed.
- Be guided in all actions by the Girl Scout Mission, Promise and Law.
- Remain informed about and comply with the most current policies, procedures, and guidelines of Girl Scouts of Northeast Kansas & Northwest Missouri and Girl Scouts of the USA (GSUSA).
- Qualifications & core competencies:
- Girl focus: Empower girls to lead activities, learn by doing, and cooperate with others on current issues that involve their interests and needs, while having fun.
- Personal integrity: Demonstrate dependability, honesty, and credibility.
- Adaptability: Adjust, modify own behavior, and remain flexible and tolerant in response to changing situations and environments.
- Oral communication: Express ideas and facts clearly and accurately.
- Foster diversity: Understand, respect, and embrace differences.
- Computer skills: Access to email and the Internet.
- Must become a registered member of Girl Scouts.
- Must complete a volunteer application and pass a background check
- Must submit 3 training references.
- Have an interest and comfort level in teaching adults.
- Experience in education and/or adult education a plus.
- Attend the Facilitating Adult Learning course.
- Group-facilitation and group-management skills a plus
- Experience in developing curriculum a plus
- This position description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Reasonable accommodations will be made to allow individuals with disabilities to perform volunteer jobs with the council whenever possible.